[CT Birds] eider confusion

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Jan 15 20:55:49 EST 2010

I went to Hammo this morning and walked to the end of the moraine trail. When I got to the end, an immature male eider was in quite close snoozing on a rock with its head tucked. Given the expectations that the immature King Eider was at this location, I wonder if any incautious observers (or enthusiastic January listers :) ) ticked it off and headed back. The bird on the rock was an imm male Common Eider, which was apparent when it lifted its head. The immature King Eider was fairly far out in the channel, beyond all the rocks, and took a bit of looking to find.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury