[CT Birds] Help with I.D

John Pfitzner jkat61 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 22:29:33 EST 2010

On 12.28.09 I posted on the digest two Long Billed Dowitchers at Hammo. I knew they were Dow's,but not sure if long or short.

someone said long due to the time of year. and sibley's says LB's prefer to feed in fresh water. in addition to that some say

that Loral angle and linear supercilium as opposed to a high degree of radii are used for I.D and the amount of primary projection.

and streaked as opposed to spotted sides. more poking around the web resulted in ( as expected ) that other's state that the

aforementioned I.D technique's validity is unfounded,and can not be relied on for positive I.D. the photo's are not great, it was

around 4pm and windy and overcast and I was looking towards the sound. I opened a flickr account to post some of the pic's.