[CT Birds] (no subject)

weatherwizard at comcast.net weatherwizard at comcast.net
Tue Jan 19 12:46:53 EST 2010

I'm not rally good at identifying ducks, but I think I was just treated to a Common Mergenser female. I have a river and waterfalls in my Deep River,CT back yard, and have seen Cormorants here catching fish. My office sits with a view of the falls, and my attention was gathered when I saw the Great Blue Heron land on the edge of the river, he is here most days. When I looked I noticed a duck in the river, that was continuously diving, and very aggressively so, more than the Cormorants. I did my best to note everything I could. Three things I definately noticed. The duck had a soft-copper colored head, a complete white breast, and definately either white wing tips on the wings, or white within them, the body was more of a darkish color. Was that a Common Mergenser female I saw? Or something else?

Russ (weatherwizard at comcast.net)