[CT Birds] King Eider questions

Tom de Boor tomdb2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 19 16:40:41 EST 2010

> Hi everyone--

I just wanted to let you know that I got a couple of very helpful back
channel responses to my questions about the Hammo King Eider from Greg
Hanisek and Nick Bonomo.  Consensus seems to be it *may* well be the same
bird as this past summer's bird, although that particular location is a King
Eider magnet, and there were as many as three there earlier in the winter.
 If it's this summer's bird, in theory it should be moulting into second
alternate plumage by now (because it was almost certainly not fresh out of
the nest, given when it was first seen), but Greg points out that the timing
of many of these plumages is poorly understood, which is why, in the case of
gulls, we've moved to calling them cycles, rather than years.

I hope I've represented all the feedback accurately--thanks again, Greg &
Nick!

Tom de Boor
Branford, CT