[CT Birds] owls vs. cars

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:47:21 EST 2010

Yes, owls do often get hit by cars.  There is probably no way to teach them
to look both ways before crossing when they are after their prey.  However,
we can all do something to minimize the amount of prey hanging around at the
sides of highways by NOT throwing our trash out the windows of our cars.
Not even biodegradable trash like apple cores!   If we could cut down on the
reason for rodents to be lurking along the roadsides eating our garbage, we
would be cutting down on the chances of owls becoming roadkill.  A little
tip I learned working with Wind Over Wings, the wildlife rehab and education
organization in Clinton, CT.

--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"The geese flew on.  I have never seen them again.  Maybe I will, someday,
somewhere.  Maybe I won't.  It doesn't matter.  What matters is that, when I
saw them, I saw them as through the veil, secretly, joyfully, clearly."
        ---from Snow Geese by Mary Oliver