[CT Birds] Next week is Rusty Blackbird Week on eBird

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jan 20 11:16:10 EST 2010

Next week is the 2nd annual Rusty Blackbird Blitz.  I hope everyone who comes across Rusty Blackbirds next week will enter their sightings into eBird, to help track trends and locations for this globally vulnerable species.   While Connecticut is not a focal state for this project, it is important that we get our birds counted. There is a decent chance that Connecticut has some globally Important Bird Areas for this species, but it is one for which we are lacking data.  Any site that regularly supports 90 individuals of this species can qualify as a global IBA.   Participate and get your site counted!

Participate in the Second Annual Rusty Blackbird Blitz!

Populations of Rusty Blackbirds are crashing! Their numbers have plummeted by as much as 88-98% over the last few decades, according to data gathered between 1966 and 2006 for the North American Breeding Bird Survey and Christmas Bird Count. A species that was once considered to be abundant is rapidly disappearing before our eyes. Your observations can help save this species by arming scientists with critical information about its ecology. The Rusty Blackbird Working Group has developed the Rusty Blackbird Blitz, a winter survey whose goal is to count Rusty Blackbirds range-wide just prior to spring migration.  From 30 January - 15 February, search for Rusty Blackbirds in your area and report your observations to eBird. Click http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/rubl-survey-2010 to learn more.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org