[CT Birds] 11-1:15PM-No sandhill crane

katz1449 at aol.com katz1449 at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 16:05:09 EST 2010

1/21  I was at the Durham, Johnson Rd location waiting  for the Sandhill
Crane to make an appearance.  It hadn't shown up from  11AM-1:15PM.
I did have a quick view and good listening of a  fly-by Pileated Woodpecker
and took a double take of 2 overhead shadows which  turned out to be
Turkey Vultures.  Oh well.  I did meet some new  birder faces and heard
some cool birding stories which is always nice. I  will do my birding
vicariously through Nick & Don's videos, I guess.   I was planning to go see the
Harlequin duck, but ran out of  time.
But my backyard birds are always fun to watch. I had an  interesting group
of 3 musketeers this morning--1 Common Grackle, 1 European  Starling and
1 male Red Winged blackbird at the feeders.  With my  usual mourning doves,
tufted titmice, black capped chickadees,  always  together pair of Carolina
Wrens and pair of Cardinals, Downies, red bellies,  flickers and hairy, and
the family of blue jays, and house finches, house  sparrows,
white throated sparrows, song sparrow and juncos.
Hope some others get to see the Crane.
Bev Propen, Orange