[CT Birds] New London Merlin

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 16:19:51 EST 2010

from Glenn Williams:
1/21 - New London, Cedar Grove Cemetery, Jefferson Ave. -- MERLIN

For Big January listers - the dead snags in the large pines in the cemetery along Jefferson Ave are one of the best spots for Merlin in SE CT.  I see them annually there in migration and one wintered there a few years ago.  Other than that one, this is the first I have seen there in winter.

I checked out the previously mentioned Waterford vulture roost yesterday in the early afternoon.  No luck with the very leucistic TV but there were three Black Vultures among the early roosting TVs.  Including the Quaker Hill roost, Waterford must be the Black Vulture capitol in CT.

Glenn Williams
Mystic