[CT Birds] Crunch time on last chance to save Griswold Airport

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jan 22 13:54:18 EST 2010

It's crunch time in our window of opportunity to preserve the Griswold Airport Property as a municipal park in Madison.  There are only 3 days before Tuesday's referendum and we need to make sure that every environmentally-minded citizen in Madison gets out and votes yes.  It is going to be a very close vote and we have been assured that if the referendum fails, site work to develop the property into 127 units of luxury housing will begin soon afterwards.   If you live in Madison, please vote yes on Tuesday.  If you do not but have friends or family who do, please contact them and remind them get out and vote yes.  There was tremendous outcry from the birding community when this housing development was proposed because of the potential negative impacts to Hammonasset Beach State Park.  Hopefully some of that energy still exists for our opportunity to preserve the property.

For more information on voting and the efforts to protect this critical parcel, please see the Save the Griswold Land website:

Thank you!

PS Volunteers are still needed to help with the get out the vote efforts between now and Tuesday, please let me know if you might be interested in volunteering and I can get you in touch with the local organizers.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org