[CT Birds] Bridgeport Ducks

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Jan 24 09:49:21 EST 2010

Hi Folks

Yesterday I covered the Bridgeport Shore at low tide. I saw a lot of
common stuff. of little interest to others. Today I had to go back
this morning at high tide, so I decided to have a casual look around
to note differences.

Yesterday there were several large flocks of Scaup, between Penfield
Reef Fairfield and Long Beach Stratford, totaling about 2500 birds.
There were no scaup in Black Rock Harbor. Today at Captain's Cover
Marina there were 8 Canvasback and 150 Scaup half and half Greater
and Lessers. If you would like a place to study both species in
relatively close quarters this is the place to go.

In Ash Creek there were over 400 Mallard/Blacks.

Off Shore Goldeneye were scarce but about 100 Long-tailed Ducks were

There were a lot of Ring-billed Gulls about (about 800) compared to
400 Herring Gulls. Time to start thinking about The drifts of we see
in the spring. Again, no Bonaparte's Gull in Captain's Cove. I have
not seen them here this winter!

Dennis Varza