[CT Birds] Gulls Gulls Gulls

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Jan 24 10:12:35 EST 2010

Hi Fokls

I was going through my notes  and stumbled on this comment

26 March 2000	Sunday	64	44	0.09 in.

A relatively thorough coverage of Lordship, the most interesting
aspect was the number of gulls. There were at least 30 thousand
Herring and Ring-billed gulls along the shore from the mouth of
Bridgeport harbor to Long Beach, to the Sea Wall and to Stratford Pt.
There were flocks flying back and forth and rafts of birds off shore
feeding on the unknown plankton. In spite of all my looking I
couldn’t find any Glaucous or Iceland Gulls. The only Bonaparte’s
Gulls were about 40 flying east to west and not taking part in the
feast. Ducks taking part included some Greater Scaup, Goldeneye,
Black Ducks and an occasional Green-winged Teal.