[CT Birds] Bluebird Research

Ellen Wisner emwisner at syr.edu
Sun Jan 24 12:34:04 EST 2010

I am in the 4th year of my Ph.D. (at Syracuse University) and do
research on how anthropogenic (human caused) noise can influence
communication in Eastern bluebirds, and thus influence how they choose
their mates.  Last summer we had great success collecting data
throughout Central New York and Connecticut and found interesting
patterns suggesting bluebirds sing differently and have different
coloration in areas that are more affected by anthropogenic
disturbance.  I am writing because I am looking for more sites in New
York state and Connecticut to conduct research this spring. Any sites
with a minimum of 3-4 pairs of bluebirds would be usable (I am looking
for both relatively disturbed and undisturbed sites).  If you have any
suggestions for sites (parks, wildlife refuges, trails, ect.), or have
any questions, please email me (Ellen) at: emwisner at syr.edu.