[CT Birds] (no subject)

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Mon Jan 25 17:55:32 EST 2010

CT Birders -

 Came home today to a bluebird feeder full of water so decided to dump all the drowned mealworms onto the patio for the birds to eat. I was surprised to count 17 bluebirds with 9 males and 8 females.  It is difficult to count them when they use the feeder because they go in and out and your not sure who you have already counted. I was also surprised to see they are paired up already with only one oddball male! One of the males is banded and most likely is the bird that has nested here in the past as he was fairly aggressive to the other males. They then spent quite a bit of time fighting over the boxes out back after consuming copious amounts of mealworms! They were joined by 5 robins( lots of scuffles between the robins) and one mockingbird, who did his beat to drive them all away! :))

Clinic remains the same with a now flighted juvenile male ruby- throated hummingbird, baltimore oriole, magnolia and yellow- rumped warblers, and a barn and northern rough winged swallow, all on hold until Spring! It has been nice and quiet!

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT