[CT Birds] Harlequin Duck not seen 1/26 10am

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Tue Jan 26 12:40:02 EST 2010

Passing this along from Sarah Johnston.

I stopped twice to look for the Harlequin Duck this morning - nothing either time, though my time was limited. The Farmington River is very high, and the dam at the Grist Mill is entirely inundated and not even visible. The entire area is flat water, moving very quickly. Ducks and geese have removed to the meadows, which are flooded in many areas. Quick scan showed no unusual waterfowl. A juveline Bald Eagle over the river and a probable Northern Goshawk over a wooded area were consolation prizes.

I will check for the HD later in the day, but the high water has probably pushed it out to look for more attractive habitat. It may still be nearby; there are some turbulent areas in selected pockets, as well as rushing nearby streams.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT