[CT Birds] On This Date (1/28)

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Jan 28 06:35:53 EST 2010

1886	Red-necked Grebe	Mansfield
1946	36 Redhead	Easton, Aspetuck Reservoir
1990	Pine Warbler New Canaan
1995	5000 Greater Scaup	West Haven

Another Slow Day

I just want to highlight a comment from Greg's comment on Spotted
Towhees.

"As is unfortunately often the case, a few older reports of Spotted
Towhees, from the time when they were not considered a full species,
are lacking in details."

Often, interest in a particular "group of birds" waxes and wanes
wether it is a species or not. Even if a group is not a specie yet
the identification is fairly obvious,  it should be noted. Groups
that are that different  and not a matter of gradation are likely
significantly different in terms of population dynamics. So treating
them as species provides more information. Also, There may be more
splits in the future and you will have a leg up. Obvious ones off the
top of my head include Ipswich Sparrow, Eurasian Teal, western and
Yellow Palm warbler. Once you have seen every thing that there is to
see, you can try your hand at the different Fox Sparrows, Juncos and
Horned Larks.

I once had a cartoon
Two guys sitting on a park bench with a group of pigeons feeding in
from of them. The first man says "I am the greatest Ornithologist in
the world, I can name every every bird in the world". Man two say "Oh
yah, name that bird pointing to one of the pigeons". Man one says
"Jimbo".