[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club February Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Thu Jan 28 09:51:21 EST 2010

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's February activities.

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, February 11. Mark Szantyr: What Makes a Rare Bird Rare in
Free and open to the public.  The Jones Auditorium of the Connecticut
Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington St., New Haven, CT.
Mark probably doesn’t need to be introduced to most CT birders.  He’s
one of the most knowledgeable, dedicated, and respected birders in
the state, and a college art teacher and fine artist whose paintings
and illustrations elegantly portray many of the avian species he
sees. With his keen artist’s eye, he is also an outstanding
photographer who is sure to capture every rare—or even not so rare—
bird that appears on the scene. (View his photos at zenfolio.com).
With this background, Mark is eminently qualified for yet another of
his activities: Being one of the 12 members on the COA’s Avian
Records Committee of CT (ARCC), which maintains the official CT State
list of bird species acceptably documented as occurring or having
occurred in the state. The committee also maintains a list of species
of rare annual, historical, or not previously documented occurrence.
That’s what Mark will discuss tonight, focusing on what makes a bird
rare. We’ll also learn what some of the state’s notable records have
been in recent years, what species are currently being examined, and
what species might be expected to appear in CT in the future.
Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.
For more information call 203.488.3876 or visit

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Wednesday,
February 3, 8:00 AM. Free and open to the public.
Enjoy a mid-week field trip to one of the area’s best birding
locations. We will look for sea ducks and a range of other water
birds, as well as grassland species and any rarities that might
occur. Meet at the park entrance at 8:00 (I-95, Exit 62).  Contact—
Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

Connecticut River Valley and Eastern Shore.  Saturday, February 6,
8:00 AM.  Free and open to the public.
Meet at the entrance to Hammonasset State Park (I-95, Exit 62) in
Madison.  We'll search the shore from Madison to the Connecticut
River lower valley for wintering shorebirds, and hawks as well as the
trip specialty, eagles.  Please bring a spotting scope if you have
one.  Leaders: Arne Rosengren: 203 248-2903 and Nancy Rosenbaum: 203
288-8997 or nancy.rosenbaum at yale.edu.

Sachuest Point National Wildlife Refuge and Rhode Island Coast.
Saturday, February 20, 7:00 AM.  Free and open to the public.
This all-day trip includes stops at Sachuest Point, Beavertail State
Park, Moonstone Beach and Trustum Pond, all outstanding Rhode Island
birding locations.  We should see grebes, loons, scoters, scaup,
Purple Sandpipers, and lots of Harlequin Ducks.  We'll look for
alcids, gannets, and rare gulls and waterfowl.  Dress warmly as it is
cold and windy on the coast.  The walk at Sachuest Point is a bit
strenuous in places.  Bring lunch and a scope, if you have one.  Meet
at the commuter lot at Exit 55 on I-95.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203
389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.