[CT Birds] early red-wings

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Jan 28 12:53:34 EST 2010

Last weekend (the 23rd) in Chester, we had a huge mixed flock of blackbirds - 1,000 individuals, by my guesstimate (clumping groups of 10, then 50, then 100s). We've never seen a flock that large; they absolutely filled the surrounding woods, lawn, and trees. About half of the birds were grackles, with the remaining half made up of redwings, starlings, and cowbirds. (I reported this on Cornell's Project Feederwatch, and the system popped up an "Are you sure?" message regarding the count. Yes, I was sure! My family as my witness.)
Over the winter of 2008-2009, we had a pair of redwings frequenting the feeder on a regular basis, which is the only time that's happened. The large flock was the first we'd seen of them this season. I have to look back at my past entries, to check the dates of past blackbird winter "invasions".
- Tammy Eustis, Chester