[CT Birds] early red-wings

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Jan 28 12:55:09 EST 2010

CT Birders -

I too have had a couple of male red wings here since the last warm up, had a single grackle come through as well.  These birds usually are not very far away and I am sure the warm weather had them moving back. Do not think I have ever been able to count a red wing or grackle here in January.  But have seen both in Feb. They are not looking too happy today, but I have put food on the ground for them in easy reach.

The last several warm weeks really got the birds hormones going. Just a few days ago turkeys were displaying in field in Cheshire. The bluebirds have been all over the boxes and appear to be paired up.  Our resident Carolina wren has been waking us at dawn every morning the last week or so with song , unpaired since he lost his female back in December. Woodpeckers are drumming and calling and the cardinals and doves had all begun to sing until today!

BTW I had a pair of golden- crowned kinglets the last few days, and a pair of Ravens eating roadkill up the street.

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT