[CT Birds] IMPORTANT Stratford access announcement

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:54:43 EST 2010

Late this morning I encountered a USFWS officer parked at the McKinney
Refuge at Long Beach Blvd. pond. He was a very nice guy, and I spoke with
him for several minutes. He informed me that the area past the metal gate is
off limits to the public. You CANNOT go into the refuge beyond the parking
area, and probably should not even go over there. The railroad trail has
been and is still open to the public.

Apparently, this has been the case for some time. I was told there was NEVER
public access here, and I told him that this was not the general
understanding by the birding community or local residents for at least a
year. He cited several reasons, from the endangered plants such as marsh
pink, the broken snow fence, diamondback terrapins, how many people go off
trail, the birds themselves, and the fact that hunters have been taking
unlawfully creative routes through the area. I saw a vehicle parked here
another day this week as well as I drove by. I am sure we will see an
increased presence of USFWS officers in the immediate future.

So please stay out the McKinney Refuge in Stratford apart from the railroad
trail if you do not have approval. I realize how disappointing this will be
to hear for many of you. We will have to see what can be done to restore
public access hopefully at some point in the near future.

Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
Stratford, CT
kbosch at gmail.com