[CT Birds] Y.B. Sapsucker vrs window East Hampton

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Sun Jan 31 11:13:44 EST 2010

CT Birders -

 My advice to anyone who has a bird hit their window is to place the bird in a shoebox lined with a towel and put a ventilated but secure lid on it. Place the bird in a quiet warm place for one hour, then return the bird outside and check to see if the bird can fly away.

Leaving birds who are stunned outside is not in the birds best interest as they are VERY susceptible to predation, plus cannot regulate their body temperature when in that condition, whether it be cold or hot outside. IMO any bird that hits a window hard enough that they cannot fly away within a few minutes should come into rehab. That type of head trauma does not make it easy for a bird to make a living and pain medication, rest and accessible food will help ensure that the bird will survive it.

Many window strikes result in ruptured air sacs which are not visible to the eye and will impair the birds ability to breathe. Please rescue birds that do not immediately fly away.
--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT