[CT Birds] RFI Black-headed Gulls in CT

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 11:24:54 EST 2010

 Hi Brian,

I'd say generally your best bet for Black-headed Gulls in CT is when we get the influx of Bonaparte's Gulls into the state in late March early April. It's also a good time to look for Little Gull and dare I even mention Ross's Gull (fingers and everything else crossed)? Still, certainly they are possible at this time of year. In Fairfield County, Southport Beach can be pretty reliable for these small gulls when the Bonaparte's arrive. I have had Black-headed and Little Gulls between there and Compo Beach a number of times in the past. I would recommend perusing both Dave Provenchers A CT birding year: http://ctbirding.org/resources_ctwinter.htm  and Greg Hanisek's 'Birds by the Season' publication (in the Connecticut Warbler) as they are invaluable for getting an idea of what might show up when in Connecticut.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich