[CT Birds] RI Ivory Gull report

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:51:27 EST 2010

To maybe (hopefully) clear a few things up:

Rachel Farrell of RI actually posted last night via her private email list
the following:
"Note: I have an unconfirmed but reliable report that the IVORY GULL was
seen again in Easton's Pond yesterday, eating a carcass on the ice. It was
possibly seen in the afternoon.  The observer reported it to a DEM employee
and it eventually was called in to me late this afternoon."

Someone anonymously cross-posted Rachel's email to the RI public listserv
(the one accessed via birdingonthe.net) without her permission. Rhode Island
bird sightings are generally sent out on a daily basis, at the end of the
day, via Rachel Farrell...this is very similar to the service that used to
be provided here in CT before CTBirds was created. In CT we have a happy
medium between the CTBirds forum and Roy's daily compilations (thanks to
Roy!). Unfortunately Rhode Island's birding community is rather divided on
the issue, thus sparking the recent rash of debating on their public
listserv. (Editorial: calling RI's community 'divided' is to put their
situation nicely...just be glad that communication is much better here...)

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT