[CT Birds] Birding RI South Coast 2-2-10

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 16:23:36 EST 2010

I took a trip to the RI coast yesterday and  submitted  this report to the
RI lists.  I'm forwarding here  because there's a  link to some pictures
some of you might like.
Trustom Pond, from the washout, 9:30 - 10:30 am:
4  Canvasbacks, 2 Redheads, c 6 Am Wigeon, 3 Gadwall, 2 Red-breasted
Mergansers, c  12 Greater Scaup (did not spot any identifiable as Lesser), c 4
Common  Goldeneye, Hooded Mergansers, Mallards, Canada Geese, Mute Swans. Off
the beach,  several Common Loons, many Common Eider in 1s and 2s and small
Charlestown Beach/breachway: Many Common Loons (at least 10) and F  Common
Eider in the breachway, fishing for crabs. The fishing was very good as  the
birds came up with a catch about every 2nd or 3rd dive. Only 1 M C. Eider
in  the breachway mouth, but many more M and F off shore. 1 Horned Grebe in
the  breachway and several more just off the mouth. 1 imm. and 2 adult Great
Cormorants on the rocks. Over the marshes 2 Northern Harriers.
Weekapaug  area: Very large numbers of Common Eiders off shore, numbering
several hundred  at least. Small groups and at least 2 large rafts of over
100 each.
Beyond  the farthest Eiders there was an astonishingly large group of birds
in a line  perhaps half a mile offshore. Line was mostly from the Breachway
east, and  certainly numbered several thousand birds. Too far for me to ID
with my scope,  but they were not Eiders, as there was very little white,
and birds appeared  generally black. I assume they were Scoters, and I thought
I could see white  patches on the back of a few necks, indicating Surf
Scoters. I believe I have  seen a similar group in that area and down to Quonny
Breach in past years. If  anyone has better knowledge of what they are I
would be interested in  knowing.   Heres a link to some pictures from  today:
Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct