[CT Birds] An amazing CBC

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Feb 3 23:47:12 EST 2010

Hi Folks

I was going through the Christmas Bird Counts for Dec. 1947 and ran
across this one.
Look at the conditions they went through!
I have been on some rough counts, but I would have stayed home on
this one

Note, This was before the days of the count circle. People just went
out and birded.

47.	Saybrook, Conn.	Dec. 26 1947
(Long Island Sound from Hammonsset Beach to Lyme, and north along the
Connecticut River to Hadlme; shore 40% marsh 30%, river 20%, mixed

  7:30 am to 2:00 pm Snowfall of 12 in with 3 in. on the ground at start

temp 20° to 28°; coves, inlets and marshes frozen, with very hight
tides washing over marsh ice;

wind 28 to 38 mph; visibility 30 to 600 ft, average 300 ft.

Three observers together except for 1 hr. Total hours 7 1/2; total
miles 36 (30 by car 6 on foot)

(Over 15000 ducks were in the area 2 weeks before and were presumably
still present; 34 species were found in 1 hour at Saybrook Pt. on Jan
1. Count was halted at 2 PM as roads became impassible and visibility
less than 60ft. )
Irston R. Barnes, Henry C. Bunting, Frank P. Matthews

23 Species 729 individuals
American Black Duck	41
Greater Scaup	70
White-winged Scoter	1