[CT Birds] Long Beach West sale & conservation in doubt

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Feb 5 08:05:00 EST 2010

Meredith,

The deal is on hold as far as the sale of Long Beach to the USFWS goes,
because the land was appraised for considerably less than the $10 million
which  Stratford thought it would receive. Cottage removal will take place anyw
ay,  starting this month.

The new mayor states that no development will take place whether the sale
is eventually made to USFWS or not. Another referendum is a possibility,
with a  lower offer from USFWS being the major issue to voters supposedly.

Another issue is that the new mayor claims that USFWS has not guaranteed
public access. I have not heard any of the details, so I don't know where he
gets that information from. Originally, public access was guaranteed by the
 USFWS.  The mayor concedes that he was against the sale in the first place
 and he has a real estate background himself.

Charlie Barnard
Stratford