[CT Birds] Possible tree swallow in Southbury

ELKINS, Kenneth kelkins at audubon.org
Mon Feb 8 12:23:57 EST 2010

I just received an unconfirmed report of a SWALLOW here at the Bent of the River.  The bird flew very close to the observer, and their first reaction was to call it a Tree Swallow.
Patrick and I would like to rule out any vagrants, but we haven't gotten to find the bird yet.  It's also quite possible that it is a Tree Swallow, considering that a decent size group overwinters most years at Cape May, which is now buried under 2+ feet of snow.  Those birds have probably had to move, and some may have gone north rather than south.

We'll keep looking and let you know, but I send this out as just a reminder to keep the eyes to the skies today anywhere in CT.

Ken

Ken Elkins
Education Programs Manager
Audubon Center at Bent of the River