[CT Birds] CT River: Eagles, hawks and G. Cormorant

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 15:39:45 EST 2010

06 & 07: On the lower CT River;  Essex to Deep River.
CT River Museum Eagle Watch Boat trip report.
Winter bird numbers are low for the first weekend of Eagle Watch boat tours.
6 Adult Bald Eagles
2 First year Bald Eagles
1 Second year Bald Eagle
3 Third Year Bald Eagles.
5+ RT Hawks
4 N. Harrier including one adult Male "Gray Ghost"
25-35 Common Merganser
15 Common Golden Eye
One Great Cormorant !!!!
   The main item I wanted to report here is the continuing absence of Great Cormorants this winter. This was first brought up by Greg H earlier in the year and from my observations on the lower CT River the absence of Great Cormorants continues in dramatic fashion.  During a typical boat tour on the river this time of year we would expect to see from 20 to 50 Great Cormorants wintering on the lower river.  This weekend I saw only one on each of the two days.
Bill Yule
Lyme, CT