[CT Birds] Junco numbers

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 9 18:52:16 EST 2010

Of interest to me this year has been the fantastic numbers
 of Junco seen at my feeders.

I checked my feeder records back to 1997 to find the maximum numbers of Juncos
counted here in my yard in Harwinton at one time.
Most, but not all, high numbers were in the month of March, when many
winter regulars here, are increased by migrants coming in from the south.

1997 - 24
1998 - 40
1999 - 40
2000 - 48
2001 - 50
2002 - 30
2003 - 39
2004 - 30
2005 - 25
2006 - 31
2007 - 40
2008 - 29
2009 - 45 in November -75 in December ! - (most ever so far in 35 years of counting!)

2010 - counted 67 today - what will March bring???

I believe this is not an indication of more Juncos overall, but possibly a result of just more birds
wintering farther north than usual.

Would love to hear the totals you have been seeing at your feeders this year.

Paul Carrier - Harwinton