[CT Birds] Harlequin Duck continues, 2/12/10 8:15am

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Feb 12 10:12:50 EST 2010

Passing this along.

 From SH Johnston, Farmington
2/12/10 Mill Lane, Farmington - 1 HARLEQUIN DUCK (drake) continues in the mill pond below the Grist Mill Restaurant at 8:15 am. Also 1 mink on riverbank. Also 1 adult male NORTHERN HARRIER at Fisher Meadows, Avon; this bird is wintering in the Farmington-Avon agricultural corridor.

It was just one month ago, on Jan 12, that I first spotted the Harlequin Duck in Farmington, and I've seen him nearly every day since. I still wonder how long he might have been here before that date. He's very cozy now with the Mallards and Mergansers. Hope this young drake remembers that he's a Harlequin in time to head north at the right time.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT