[CT Birds] Beautiful Birds, Beautiful Books

Zagorski, Sara szagorski at daypitney.com
Fri Feb 12 11:03:09 EST 2010

Thought some people might be interested in this course being offered at Trinity College in Hartford:

Beautiful Birds, Beautiful Books
If you love birds and you love books, this course will offer the chance to enjoy both. Employing the rich resources of the distinguished Enders Ornithology Collection in the Watkinson Library, the course will constitute both a brief introduction to the history of ornithology and to the history of book illustration. Participants will have the opportunity to look at a wide range of materials from early European works on ornithology by William Turner, Pierre Belon, and Francis Willughby and pioneer studies of American birds by Francisco Hernandez and Mark Catesby to the distinguished 19th century engraved publications by François Le Vaillant and John James Audubon and notable lithographic publications by John Gould and Daniel Giraud Elliot. In addition, we will touch on the evolution of commercial book illustration in the 20th century and compare printed versions of books with original book illustration artwork in the Enders Collection. If we have time, we also will investigate how book artists have found creative ways to use birds in their publications.
Jeffery H. Kaimowitz
Four Tuesdays: 5:30-7:00pm-In the Watkinson Library on the Trinity Campus
March 2, 9, 16, 23.
LIMIT 15 students
Jeffrey H. Kaimowitz is the Head Librarian of the Watkinson Library and Curator of the Enders Ornithology Collection. He has a Ph.D. in classics from the University of Cincinnati and an M.S. in Library Service from Columbia University.

For more information go to: http://www.trincoll.edu/Academics/adultlearning/life_long/course.htm

Sara Zagorski

This message contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any disclosure, distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by immediate reply and delete the original message. Thank you.