[CT Birds] Great Backyard Bird Count

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Fri Feb 12 12:44:55 EST 2010

Our goldfinches and modos have been low, too. I wandered around Chester for 2 1/2 hours and only saw 2 goldies and 1 modo. (But plenty of other good things to make up for those numbers: 3 bald eagles, 2 red-tails, hermit thrush, yellow-rumped warbler, mockingbird, kingfisher...) The most goldfinches I've seen were four at our thistle feeder this morning; they've just returned after a long absence. We had large flocks of mourning doves earlier in the season - upward of 15 - but now I only see 1-2 at a time. Could be the local Coopers hawk is enjoying some successful meals.
- Tammy Eustis, Chester