[CT Birds] Blue jays, juncos, and white-throated sparrows

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 13:41:29 EST 2010

I have not been keeping up very well with ctbirds messages lately so I am sure this has been noted by others here in the recent past. I have been amazed at the numbers of blue jays, juncos, and white-throated sparrows I have been seeing around my one birder feeder here. I had 6 white-throated sparrows this morning and on some days I have had up 8 white-throated sparrows. The number of blue jays seem to be up here compared to last winter. I have up to 15 blue jays at one time here this winter. Junco numbers seem to be on par here but I had 30 juncos one day this winter. I will have to check my past Feeder Watch data on these species, since my Feeder Watch data goes back more then 10 years. Have had only one Cooper's hawk for Feeder Watch this winter, though I have seen the Coop on non Feeder Watch days.

David W Babington
Washington, CT