[CT Birds] Harlequin at Mill Pond in Farmington

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Feb 13 08:40:51 EST 2010

Feeding of wild waterfowl in general is discouraged, but I realize elimination of this practice at certain locations is not particularly likely and I can certainly understand when a business owner gets an unusual visitor like this, they might want to keep it around.  You are right that bread is not a healthy food for ducks though.  There are commercially available 'duck chows' that could be found at nearly any local farm supply store, if someone wanted to suggest this to the owner or chip in for a bag.  These foods are generally geared towards dabblers, but I bet they'd be healthier food for a diver like the Harlequin than bread.  Chicken feed mix might be another option.  Again, I'm not encouraging people to feed here, but just offering some healthier alternatives should this practice continue.

Patrick Comins, Meriden