[CT Birds] How can people help birds.

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Feb 13 11:45:31 EST 2010

One offshoot of the duck feeding discussion is that I was asked, "what can ordinary people and birders do to help birds?".   There are tons of ways and I could probably type pages and pages, but in the mean time, I'd like to throw out one easy way and open up a thread where people can add their suggestions.

One very easy way is to buy duck stamps, they are available in post offices and the proceeds from their sales are used to purchase habitat for birds, and not just ducks.  The Migratory Bird Conservation Fund is an important source of funding to acquire land for the National Wildlife Refuge system and has provided millions of dollars of funding for New England's own Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge to acquire land in the Connecticut River Watershed.

For more information on duck stamps:
http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Info/Stamps/stampinfo.htm
I will post more suggestions later, but for now I'd love to hear what other suggestions are out there.

Thanks!

Patrick Comins, Meriden
Audubon Connecticut, COA and Friends of Conte.

PS Also I was reminded of a few other reasons why waterfowl feeding is discuraged, salmonella, aspergillosis (mold poisoning), avain flu and botulism.    I also remembered about this document from the USFWS:
http://library.fws.gov/Pubs9/caution_waterfowl.pdf