[CT Birds] Southport Survey #217 and then some

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Feb 13 12:29:22 EST 2010

Before the survey I made a quick stop at Penfield Reef. The reef was
nearly covered, but there were lots of ducks about. There were
hundreds more as specks on the horizon flying east (my guess being
Long-tailed Ducks)

Long-tailed Duck	500
Common Goldeneye	260
Red-breasted Merganser	6
Common Loon	2

Southport Survey # 217
The was little wind at start and the water calm. then the wind came
out of the north forming white caps off shore. Ducks were in small
groups and scattered. There were 2 Great Cormorants feed ing close to
shore giving great looks of the head pattern. Later they flew off to
the east.

The golf course ponds remained frozen and the harbor continued to be
completely frozen except by the bridge. The open area contained the
geese and Hooded Mergansers and nice make Common Merganser. At
Southport Beach  the gulls again were huddled out of the wind on the
east side while the Black Ducks and friends were working the mouth of
the creek. Huddled up against the breakwater was one Killdeer.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	1/27	2/2	2/7	2/13
Tide	High	Low 	High	High
Time	7:45	7:10	7:15	8:10

Brant	80_305_18_11
Canada Goose	45_240_112_370
Mute Swan	4_4_2_8
American Wigeon	8_8_2_14
Gadwall	6_4_4_17
American Black Duck	0_140_58_16
Mallard	32_72_46_52
Long-tailed Duck	25_275_7_85
Bufflehead	6_28_22_22
Common Goldeneye	55_120_57_30
Hooded Merganser	24_57_6_18
Common Merganser	1_0_0_1
Red-breasted Merganser	14_22_20_21
Red-throated Loon	1_1_1_1
Common Loon	1_4_0_4
Horned Grebe	4_11_1_2
Great Cormorant	4_3_1_5
Great Blue Heron   	0_1_0_0
Killdeer	_0_0_0_1
Ring-billed Gull Ad.	73_158_220_102
Ring-billed Gull Im.	2_2_5_0
Herring Gull Ad.   	85_203_106__96
Herring Gull Im.    	9_16_9_7
Great Black-backed Gull Ad.	5_6_4_2

I made a stop at Burying Hill Beach 9:40-10:00
There were few birds in the creek but a lot of shorebirds on the
beach. The Lesser Black-backed Gull was not seen Compared to the east
of here a lot more Common Loon.

Brant	45
Canada Goose	20
Mallard	4