[CT Birds] Sunrise Bird Walk - Westport

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 16:34:18 EST 2010

 Hi All,

A pretty amazing day in the field without stumbling on anything too extravagant. Numbers of waterfowl were incredible including 3000+ Greater Scaup at Compo Beach, 6 White-winged Scoter, 500 or so Long-tailed Duck between there and Southport Beach. I guess there must be some big North/East bound movement going on today as there was plenty of un-identified waterfowl moving mid-Sound.. The adult Iceland Gull also continued at Compo.

A swing through Sherwood produced a 4th year Bald Eagle and a lingering Killdeer. Burying Hill Beach in Westport turned up the regular but missable adult Lesser Black-backed Gull as well as more large groups of Red-breasted Mergansers, Long-tailed Ducks and rafts of Common Loons - one string included 14 birds - pretty impressive. Also a nice mix of winter shorebirds including good numbers of Ruddy Turnstones and a smattering of Dunlin and BB Plovers

Post walk Penny Solum and I took a swing through Bridgeport looking for the Eared Grebe. No sign but again numbers of ducks very impressive including 300+ Common Goldeneye at Seaside, 200+ Lesser Scaup at Captains Cove Marina (plus one female Northern Pintail) and large numbers (1000+) of Greater Scaup at St. Mary's. All in all probably one of the more impressive waterfowl days I've had in CT with good variety, large numbers and many times birds pretty close in to shore providing great views.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich