[CT Birds] King Eiders and a word about documentation

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Feb 15 12:23:20 EST 2010

Yes, I was referring to the current GBBC with regard to the one King Eider being reported so far in North America.  In looking over the last few years counts, of the GBBC, I only found two instances of more than 2 individuals at a single location in the past five years outside of Alaska; 6 individuals reported in RI in 2006.   Three are reported in Cape Elizabeth, ME in 2008, but this likely represents only 1 bird, as there are 3 checklists of 1 bird each.  In 2002 there was a report of 7 in Massachusetts and I hope that was well documented.

There are not that many records of this species on GBBC in the lower 48 over the entire history of the count:
King Eiders in the Lower 48 on GBBC (raw number not correcting for multiple checklists):
1998: 0
1999: 0
2000: 1
2002: 9 (the year where 7 were reported in Mass).
2003: 0
2004: 1
2005: 6
2006: 8
2007: 4
2008: 6
2009: 1 so far, not counting the 4 Mystic birds.

With a bird this rare at the continental scale, we have to air on the side of caution in allowing records through.  Is it out of the question to have a King Eider in Long Island Sound? Certainly not, and as has been pointed out, there are recent nearby records.   What is causing extra caution in this is that there were 4 reported, three of which were females.  This combines a very rare species with one that can be tricky to identify.

Does not accepting this record (or any ornithological record for that matter) without further documentation mean that the compliers doubt the accuracy or veracity of a sighting?, no.  It simply means that the documenting evidence is not sufficient to enter the data into the historical record.  This  often happens in the world of bird records.  I am reasonably confident that I had a White-winged Tern at Milford Point a few years back.  Unfortunately, I was the only observer and did not have a camera with me at the time.  The record was not accepted by the Avian Records Committee.  Even though I'm nearly certain as to the ID, I realize that a single observer record for such a rare occurrence was not sufficient to document this sighting for the historical record.  Likewise, David Sibley, Chris Elphick and I had a bird we agreed was a hybrid HerringXLesser Black-backed Gull on the CBC in 1999.  We even photographed the bird.  The record was not accepted because it was felt that we could not rule out something even rarer than a hybrid HerringXLesser.    Please don't be offended if one of your records is not accepted by the ARCC, a CBC complier, eBird or GBBC.  It doesn't mean you are doubted, but rather that the complier being conservative with regard to the historical record.

That all being said, I hope folks will continue to keep their eyes out for a group of King Eiders near Mystic.

Sincerely,

Patrick Comins, Meriden
GBBC Co-complier for CT