[CT Birds] Red-headed Woodpecker, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike, and dull Windsor Landfill

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 15 19:18:12 EST 2010

>From Frank Mantlik with Patrick Dugan & Tina Green,
2/15 Windsor - We met four other birders about 9:30 at Windsor Landfill, hoping for some rare larids.  It was pretty uneventful, with low numbers of gulls (maybe 1000 max total, if that) and nothing unusual. One Bald Eagle and 100s of Am. Crows.
After about 3.5 hours we left the landfill and saw the continuing RED-HEADED WOODPECKER at nearby Northwest Park, still in a dead tree by the woodchip pile.
Farmington - Then we saw the male HARLEQUIN DUCK on the Farmington River behind the Grist Mill Restaurant.
Watertown - And ended the day with Patrick spotting the elusive NORTHERN SHRIKE off Bunker Hill Rd.