[CT Birds] Waterfowl hunting seasons

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 13:49:08 EST 2010

I am not a hunter, and I have been wondering what the seasons  for
waterfowl are in CT.   I had been under the impression that  all seasons closed in
mid-January.  I was surprised in late January to  hear gunners shooting quite
near where the Durham Sandhill Crane  was.  In today's CTBirds vol 1 there
is a post from Tina Green that  mentions hunters blasting away near the
Milford Marsh.  I looked up the Ct  waterfowl hunting regulations, and as far as
I can tell, the only season  currently open is for Snow Geese.  Since I
haven't even seen 1 this season,  I have trouble believing there are many
hunters out for them, let alone  blasting away.  Am I missing something?  Are
there other hunting  seasons now open that I did not find?
I also was amazed to see that Ct has an open season for  several varieties
of Rail.  Somehow I just assumed that birds like that  would be protected.

Don Morgan
Coventry