[CT Birds] What N. Flickers eat

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 07:56:39 EST 2010

I usually have a Flicker or 2 around my yard.  Most often  I see them on my
suet feeder and occasionally on a regular feeder.  Today I  had one on the
platform feeder on my back porch, first time I've seen him  there.  I have a
standard seed mix plus peanuts on it, and I add handfuls  of millet for the
Juncos.  I Assumed he would be after the peanuts, as that  seems to be what
they favor from the suet, but as I watched, he appeared to  be pecking at
the platform.  Turned out he was gobbling up millet as fast  as he could pick
it up.  He had millet seeds or shells stuck to his beak,  and it looked odd
seeing that giant bill with the tiny millet seeds in it.   Guess he likes a
well-rounded diet.  He never touched any other item that I  could see.

Don Morgan
Coventry