[CT Birds] Mystery Bird of the day

Jim Voros voros at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 18 16:27:40 EST 2010

Some co-workers approached me over a bird they saw out our office window.  We have a tree with small red berries on it and Robins and Cedar Waxwings have been frequenting it for the past week or so.  Location is Stamford, CT right off the Merritt so about 6 miles inland.

What they described is a White bird, some black in the wings but not on the shoulders, greyish blue on the chest.  Black markings on its white head.  Black Beak shaped similar to a robin, size about like a robin. Not a woodpecker, gull, owl, hawk, goldfinch, dove.  I showed pictures of a snow bunting around and they said, too much black on the shoulders.

Personally I'm stumped. The way they described it is 'mostly white', and I just don't know of many white birds like this outside of Gulls and other shore birds.  Could be an albino robin but the photos on the web didn't seem to match the description well.

Reportedly someone may have snapped a photo so if I get my hands on it, I will post it.