[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club March Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 16:02:01 EST 2010

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's March activities.
Please note that Kris Johnson is the contact person for the First
Wednesday walk.

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, March 11—Patrick Dugan.  Whistle Down the Bird: Birds of
Stamford, CT and Their Calls.  The Jones Auditorium of the
Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington St., New
Haven, CT.
Patrick is an exceptional birder, having pursued this passion from
childhood. He is especially devoted to his hometown birding patch,
Stamford, CT, where he has a species list of 308, more than most
birders have for the entire state. And he’s an excellent trip leader,
too. He has co-led birding trips out of state, and on Saturday
mornings, if there’s a bird to be seen at Cove Island in Stamford,
he’s sure to find it for those who take his scheduled walks. What
makes his walks unique—and extra fun—is his ability to whistle any
bird song. He’s a veritable walking iPod. He started learning bird
calls at an early age. While working in a quiet basement workroom of
the family picture framing business, he listened to bird tapes to
break the monotony. With time and practice he honed his whistling and
birdsong-mimic skills to an art. In fact, he’s so good at whistling,
he once auditioned for a whistling part in a Woody Allen movie. Allen
signed him on and paid a comfortable, (and happily for Patrick, non-
returnable) fee up front, but Allen ended up concluding that Patrick
was too good for the whistling role Allen envisioned. (Or was Allen
just afraid Patrick would steal the show!) Tonight Patrick will show
photos of birds he’s seen in Stamford and he’ll whistle their songs.
His Winter Wren is not to be missed. He might even take requests at
the end of his talk!   Notice!  Birder Tag Sale at the March
Meeting.  Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more
information call 203.488.3876 or visit www.newhavenbirdclub.org.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk:  Long Beach, Great Meadows Marsh, Stratford.
Wednesday, March 3, 8:00 AM. Free and open to the public.
We will meet at the Long Beach parking lot and bird the marsh and
beach and then visit Sikorsky Airport and Frash Pond. We’ll look for
sea birds such as Long-tailed Duck and scoters, as well as raptors
and shorebirds, and if we’re lucky, a Snowy Owl. Directions: Follow
signs to Sikorsky Airport. Go past the airport entrance and across
the causeway. Take the first right onto Oak Bluff Avenue and follow
it to the entrance of Long Beach.  Leader, Scott Kruitbosch.  Contact—
Kris Johnson: 203.288.3087, krisjohnson99 at snet.net

Southwest Connecticut Coast: Westport.  Sunday, March 21, 7:15 AM.
Free and open to the public.
Welcome spring, just one day old, as we bird some of the Westport
area’s coastal hotspots, in search of waterfowl, gulls, raptors, and
land birds. Carpooling is encouraged, and we’ll plan to finish
midday. Meet at the commuter lot off Exit 18 of I-95. Heavy rain or
snow will cancel.  Leader—Frank Mantlik: 203.984.9410,
mantlik at sbcglobal.net.