[CT Birds] Sumac

Christopher Lovell ctlovell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:05:41 EST 2010

Interestingly enough and also timely, I recently noticed a flock of
European starlings on a stand of Staghorn Sumac in Fairfield. They
were going to town on the berries. I had never noticed anything eating
sumac berries.

As a side note, a friend of mine who is a beekeeper uses sumac berries
mixed into his smoker fuel because apparently the varroa mite (a bee
parasite) dislikes the sumac smoke and falls off the bee where the
worker bees can remove them from the hive. Who knew?

Chris
Sent from my iPhone