[CT Birds] sumac

jbserena at comcast.net jbserena at comcast.net
Mon Feb 22 20:26:53 EST 2010

I've seen blue jays and robins feed on staghorn sumac berries in the winter.

By the way, when dried and ground, the berries make a lovely spice that is traditionally used in the Near East and North Africa. It has lemon flavor and a bit of the flavor of a sweet pepper, like a pimiento or sweet paprika.