[CT Birds] frisky red-breasted mergansers

Carol Ansel carolansel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 21:20:38 EST 2010

On my way to work I pulled over at St. Mary's cemetery one Rte 1 in
Stonington - there were 6-10 red-breasted mergansers out in the cove,
zipping around, chasing each other, the males doing their breeding
displays - throwing their heads up towards the sky, and sometimes
doing their "jackknife" maneuver wherein they stick their back ends
and their heads up in the air simultaneously, almost appearing to fold
themselves in half - lots of fun to watch, and another harbinger of
spring - yay!

In the late afternoon there was a common loon there, something I've
not often seen in that cove.

At Ender's Island, 2 horned grebes and a sharpie. Pretty quiet overall.

Carol Ansel