[CT Birds] Hammo on a quiet Monday

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 16:50:33 EST 2010

I did the usual tour of Hammo on Monday, didn't make it to the  campground
though.  I met far more  people there to see the seals at  the end of the
moraine trail than I did birders.  Actually it was a good  look - I counted 13
or 14 lounging on the rocks at low (really low!) tide.   A few pics of them
Here:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?wf=share&galleryid=9f30cbca76bd4f3
bb9c9bc5068421e79&trackingid=BTAGC

Only bird of note offshore was a Red-throated Loon I spotted at  the
breakwater, drifting east with the tide.
I headed out the causeway to Willard's Island and had only gone  a litte
way when I was surprised to see an adult Great Blue Heron standing right  next
to me, only about 15 feet from the road.  He was so close I could  actually
take his picture without digiscoping.  He was very thin and  scrawny
looking - I don't think he's doing too well.  Looked like he was  trying to fish
in the little puddle next to the causeway.  When a couple of  more people
came along he was able to fly away, however.  Hope he makes it  through the
winter.  Pics Here:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?wf=share&galleryid=a7f89bfcc64a461
c985e0e24bff53137&trackingid=BTAGC

A few Yellow-rumps still in the Willard's thickets, and a  Northern Harrier
flew over as I walked out.  Very little else around.   I did hear a bird
singing faintly on the causeway - may have been a wren.   Couldn't hear it
well enough to tell.

Don Morgan
Coventry