[CT Birds] American goldfinch invasion? All of one here in Washington, CT so far

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 27 13:29:51 EST 2010

We currently have a minimum of 150 Goldfinch at our feeders.  Two 20 perch feeders and 3 smaller finch feeders and they are most often full with twice as many more feeding on the ground under them.   Each tube goes down a foot or more each day now.

Side note, Our big Rusty Blackbird flock has moved on.  We still have 1-15 of them drop in occasionally but seem to stay only a matter of minutes.

One big change in them is that many more of them are males now than females and the males have changed a lot in only the last 2 weeks.  Some have almost completed their molt and lost nearly all of their rusty feathers on their backs and are pretty close to totally black.  There are also grackles coming in now too but when both species are present they mostly stay apart as much as possible on the ground.

Jim and Carol

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com