[CT Birds] Northern Gannets and Glaucous Gull

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 28 11:20:12 EST 2010

Oh, and I almost forgot,
2/27 Stratford, 5:20pm - at least 29 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES at Sikorsky Airport entrance, prior to going to evening roost.

It's still a bit of a mystery where these birds go to feed during the day, but at dawn the flock typically heads in the direction of Pleasure Beach, Bridgeport.  In past winters, I've seen them feeding on washed-up slipper shells at Long Beach or Pleasure Beach.  Plus I suspect they might disperse to forage in the extensive salt marshes.  The most reliable times to see them (I had a maximum of 41 one day this winter) in winter are certainly at dawn and at sunset at this evening roost site.

Also
2/27, 6:45am -Stratford, Freeman Ave., Wooster Park Pond - the male MALLARD X NORTHERN PINTAIL hybrid was back here.  Charlie Barnard saw it later in the morning.  I'd first seen it here back on 11/28, when it stayed for a few days.  It is definitely a striking bird.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford