[CT Birds] raccoons awake

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Mon Mar 1 13:34:10 EST 2010

 RE: Opossums, skunks and raccoons....none of these mammals are hibernators. Skunks and raccoons will "sleep in" when the weather is inclement, but they are active on warmer nights. Opossums are active much of the winter, and will occasionally get frostbitten tails and ears from going out in sub-freezing temperatures. As such, they are not really signs of spring. The recent singing of red-winged blackbirds....now that is an early sign of spring up here in northern CT!

Jay Kaplan
Canton