[CT Birds] Milford Pt; Am Oystercatcher+

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:38:40 EST 2010

Given Frank's report from Stratford I decided to check east and west
of Stratford to see how widespread the gull/duck feeding was. To the
west, at Seaside Park in Bridgeport, gull numbers were low. Very few
gulls were feeding offshore, though 3 of them were BONAPARTE'S. There
were many Brant, Goldeneye, Scaup, and others surface feeding offshore
however. I didn't do any counting here.

To the east, at Milford Pt, there was no evidence of gull/duck surface
feeding. But the water was so calm and the light so soft that it made
counting offshore birds quite easy. Here's what I came up with:

1540 Gr Scaup (careful count of this close flock)
2 Lr Scaup (in with the greaters)
110 Common Goldeneye
20 RB Merganser
60 Long-tailed Duck
22 Common Loon
2 Red-throated Loon
25 Horned Grebe
2 Great Cormorant
AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER (my first of the spring)
75 Sanderling
50 Dunlin

On the marsh side, there were 23 Green-winged Teal (this number will
grow into the low hundreds over the next few weeks).

A possible bit of good news: the tip of the "nesting" sandspit has
grown quite a bit over the winter, which may in the future provide
more habitat for breeding terns and plovers.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT